[ntp:hackers] Further to the timestamping issue

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jun 16 15:27:04 UTC 2008

In message <485679D6.3010407 at udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> I did not say they were not correct, I said they were of no use.
>
>If other drivers don't follow the intended semantics, that's not the
>fault of the semantics.

I'm not saying it is, but I'm advocating adding some metrics with
semantics people can understand and use.

Even if they were correctly implemented, the root delay and root
dispersion is of no use to NTP users.

>The leapseconds values include the epoch of the next/last leap,

I fail to fully appreciate how you compressed that into the
two bit field of the NTPv4 protocol.

Or are you talking about some undocumented extension field ?