[ntp:hackers] Copyright notice

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Tue Jun 24 10:53:18 UTC 2008

David L. Mills schrieb:
> Folks,
>
> Lots of folks have been chipping away at me over the years about the
> copyright notice in the NTP distribution. I have refused to change the
> wording on the basis this might disenfranchise current users. Well, I
> took the case to the lawyers in our Univerisity Intellectual Properties
> Office and they told me the current wording is perfect and not to change
> anything. They did suggest I change the copyright holder to the
> University of Delaware on the basis this might deflect complaints to me
> personally. I have done that and so it remains.
>
> Dave

Dave,

on a sidenote: Do you still think it is necessary to download that copyright
notice when I try to build ntp from sources? This requires lynx and I think it
is pretty unnecessary to insist on a specific web browser just to build
something from source. It would probably be a good idea to ask the UDel lawyers
if the file could be included in a static version which has a phrase like "If a
newer version of this document is available at www.ntp.org/copyright.html, that
one is valid" or something like this.

If we cannot avoid the dynamic downloading of a legal document, I would vote for
at least allowing alternatives to lynx (like wget, links, links2, ...).

Best Regards,
  Heiko