[ntp:hackers] Normative reference for MD5 authentication on NTPv3?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jun 29 18:36:49 UTC 2008

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've been trying (and failing) to get Microsoft to realise that their
> 'MS-SNTP' authentication extensions conflict with the MD5 authentication
> (with static keys or with autokey) found in the NTP code.
>
> However, I've had trouble convincing the poor brute tasked with fending
> off my questions that a world exists outside Microsoft.  Is there a
> document describing these extensions, as used in NTPv3, that I can point
> them at?  They seem unable or unwilling to actually read code.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

For V3, no. While there was a version of Autokey that may have worked
with V3 it really postdates RFC 1305 and its SNTP brethren. The only
other keys are the symmetric keys and I don't remember if it was in the
RFC 1305 document. I'm pretty sure none of the SNTP RFC's even deal with
extensions. So except for what's in the current NTPv4 and Autokey
drafts, no.