[ntp:hackers] Export restrictions on ntp-dev?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Wed Apr 22 23:37:45 UTC 2009

Brian Utterback wrote:
> Something just came up in my efforts to get NTP 4.2.5 into Solaris.
> The question of export restrictions on crypto is part of the checklist
> for integration into any sun product, Solaris included.
>
> So, my question is, has the source code at udel.edu ever been through
> a U.S. government export review? If so, is there any kind of
> documentation or review number? How do other vendors deal with this?
> Any clues, pointers, hints?
>
> Thanks.

I don't know of anything in the ntp code itself where that would even
come up but Dave would know for sure. The only issue may be the OpenSSL
code which is optional at this time, but OpenSSL is hosted outside of
the US to avoid this issue from what I understand. Doesn't Sun ship
OpenSSL? It does get used in Kerberos so if Sun is shipping Kerberos it
should be (but not necessarily) safe to ship for ntp.

believed to be clean.