[ntp:hackers] Export restrictions on ntp-dev?

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Apr 23 03:45:43 UTC 2009

Danny,

I have been around this issue many times with DARPA and even read the
ITAR regulations, which unfortunately are imprecise and confusing,
probably on purpose to give wiggle room. The bottom line is that, even
if OpenSSL is imported from a outside the US, it can't be exported
without a license. Recent enforcement of ITAR has become insane. I had
to sign a statement that required me to forbid a non-US nationals from
my office if research material was viewable on my display. Gives new
meaning to screen saver.

Dave