[ntp:hackers] Information needed in providing server's public key to client in secured NTPv4

Chandramohan, BA IN BLR SISL Chandramohan.ba at siemens.com
Mon Aug 3 09:14:49 UTC 2009

Hal Murray,

Thanks for the information.

We can use PGP & GNUPG only to generate public keys and certificates.

We can send the public keys of the server by 'out of band' means.
But I think there is some means in NTP protocol through which we can send the server's public key for encryption/decryption of cookies and signature.

There are few parameter exchanges and one of them is 'Association Message' (ASSOC) which happens before cookie request/response. I guess that exchange of server's public key is done here.

In association message (ASSOC), client sends its status word to the server and server sends its status word as response.
Host status word has Host Key and Sign Key.
Host key contains the public/private key pair to encrypt/decrypt cookies and Sign key contains the public/private key pair encrypt/decrypt signatures.
You can the check the link "http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-06" for more information.

Can you let me know how this exchange happens and what are the members and their data types of the host status word?

Is the public key of the server exchanged through this parameter exchange request/response (ASSOC message) or this has to be done through 'out-of-band' method through e-mail or registered mail?

With best regards,
Chandru