[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:08:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Reg Clemens wrote:

> I hate to be the wet blanked, but I have not been following this
> 'dumpcfg' thing, so I have no idea what it is.
>
>  AND there is no mention of it in the HTML files.
>
> We need some documentation.

IMO it's still a little early to document it, until it takes a more
final form.  What is it?  A mechanism to dump the active configuration
file(s) that have been applied to a running ntpd.  If you use ntpq's
:config or configfromfile commands, the additional "files" are
appended after the dump of the primary ntp.conf contents.  This allows
you to make changes at runtime, decide you like the result, and save
it as a ntp.conf-format file to be used in a subsequent startup or
ntpq configfromfile.

Use ntpq 4.2.5p203 against ntpd 4.2.5p203 and try:

ntpq -c "dumpcfg ntpdump.conf"

There is code in ntpd to return a string indicating success or failure
to ntpq, but ntpq doesn't display that response yet.  Look in /var/tmp
on unix, or the ntpd's user's %TEMP% on windows, for ntpdump.conf and
compare it to the ntp.conf you started ntpd with.  Keep a particular
eye out for "# dump error" in the output, if there are none, see if
any of the directives appear to be different in effect from the ones
in your original ntp.conf and file bugs if so.

Cheers,
Dave Hart