[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Mon Aug 17 06:10:42 UTC 2009

> IMO it's still a little early to document it

Well, thats a difference of opinion.
>From my point of view, its NEVER to early to document it.
How are we supposed to know what its trying to do if its not documented.
There is no question that the documentation can change to follow changes
in beta code, but if I dont know what its supposed to be trying to do
how can I tell if its working?
Or how can I write a bug report?

Here is what I see with 4.2.5p203

---

[root at deneb tmp]# cat ntpdump.conf
server -4 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 8
server -4 127.127.30.0 prefer
server -4 127.127.28.0
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.025175
peer -4 clemens-fw.dwf.com
peer -4 mythtv.dwf.com
peer -4 mythtv-fe.dwf.com
peer -4 orion-freebsd.dwf.com
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats rawstats protostats
filegen
# dump error:
# unknown filegen option token 381
filegen
# dump error:
# unknown filegen option token 305
[...]
enable kernel
driftfile "/etc/ntp/ntp.drift"
leapfile "/etc/ntp/ntp.leap"

----

Ill have to assume that that is NOT correct.
And some questions:
    What are the '-4's in the peer and server lines?
    Is it intended that ANYONE can create this file, but that it gets created
        with permissions 600 and owned by root so only root can read it?
    Note that the definitions of driftfile and leapfile make it into the
	output, but the definition of statsdir does not.  Ill assume
	that that is a mistake.
    And, I am not sure if the ONCORE driver is the only driver with its own
        configuration files, what is your intention with respect to these
	'other' config files???

So, some documentation, or at least a scope of the project WOULD help...

For Reference, my /etc/ntp/ntp.conf reads

---

[root at deneb tmp]# cat /etc/ntp/ntp.conf
# NTP configuration file (ntp.conf)
###### NTP V4 ####

# Miscellaneous stuff
driftfile   /etc/ntp/ntp.drift  # path for drift file
# logfile     /var/log/ntpstats/xntpd
statsdir    /var/log/ntpstats/  # directory for statistics files

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats rawstats protostats
filegen loopstats  file loopstats  type day enable
filegen peerstats  file peerstats  type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
filegen sysstats   file sysstats   type day enable
filegen rawstats   file rawstats   type day enable
filegen protostats file protostats type day enable

### Kernel PPS Selection
enable kernel

### Configuration section ###

leapfile /etc/ntp/ntp.leap

server 127.127.1.0                      # Local clock
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 8            # Local stratum

server 127.127.30.0 prefer              # ONCORE #1

# server 127.127.30.1 prefer              # ONCORE #2

server 127.127.28.0                     # SHM/WWVB
fudge  127.127.28.0  time1 0.0251750

# Peer Section

# peer clemens.dwf.com
# peer clemens-pc.dwf.com