[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:26:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Reg Clemens wrote:
[...]
> Here is what I see with 4.2.5p203
>
> ---
>
> [root at deneb tmp]# cat ntpdump.conf
> server -4 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 8
> server -4 127.127.30.0 prefer
> server -4 127.127.28.0
> fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.025175
> peer -4 clemens-fw.dwf.com
> peer -4 mythtv.dwf.com
> peer -4 mythtv-fe.dwf.com
> peer -4 orion-freebsd.dwf.com
> statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats rawstats protostats
> filegen
> # dump error:
> # unknown filegen option token 381
> filegen
[...]
> Ill have to assume that that is NOT correct.

Yes, thanks for uncovering that.  Please see http://bugs.ntp.org/1286,
which has a patch that allows dumpcfg to correctly dump your filegen
directives.

> And some questions:
>    What are the '-4's in the peer and server lines?

That's used to select IPv4 or IPv6.  There may be room for some
fine-tuning to not emit -4s which were not given originally.

>    Is it intended that ANYONE can create this file, but that it gets created
>        with permissions 600 and owned by root so only root can read it?

Yes, but only for initial testing.  I expect authentication to be
required (meaning a MD5 passphrase in a ntp.keys file pointed to by
ntp.conf).  The file permission allows only owner to read because
ntp.conf can contain a password (crypto pw).

>    Note that the definitions of driftfile and leapfile make it into the
>        output, but the definition of statsdir does not.  Ill assume
>        that that is a mistake.

Yes, also fixed in the aforementioned patch, which also reorders the
output to try to come closer to standard examples.

>    And, I am not sure if the ONCORE driver is the only driver with its own
>        configuration files, what is your intention with respect to these
>        'other' config files???

Personally I would like to find a way to provide sufficient
configurability via ntp.conf that separate files are not needed.  I
have no immediate plans to look at other config files.

> So, some documentation, or at least a scope of the project WOULD help...

For now, please bear with us while we hammer out the details to be
documented, or feel free to turn the emails so far into interim
documentation :)

> For Reference, my /etc/ntp/ntp.conf reads

Thanks, that made it easy to reproduce.

Cheers,
Dave Hart