[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 19 00:26:58 UTC 2009

stenn at ntp.org said:
> Having a way to send the config back to the requesting system is an
> interesting idea, and I'd be up for doing that via a TCP connection at
> some point in the future (ie, I don't think we're gonna get there
> before 4.2.6 is released).

One man's feature is another man's bloat.

That feels like bloat to me.  If you are remotely administering a system
running ntp, it will probably have other config files.  Whatever you use for
them should handle ntp.conf too.

Speaking of bloat, is there a configure time option to leave this and other
remote control stuff out?

Is there a list of frills that can be omitted if you are building ntpd to run
in an embedded system, or a laptop without enough memory, or ...?

We should track the code size over releases.