[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Todd Glassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 24 18:03:49 UTC 2009

Reg Clemens wrote:
> I guess this gets back to my previous question about a lack of
> documentation.
>
> I have no idea what problem having 'dumpcfg' is trying to solve.
> If its for backup, why not just copy the ntp.conf file?

If the intent was to pre-populate the NTP service from DHCP and pass the
config file to the server then this would make total sense. As to the
idea of being able to remotely read and write the config files, this is
a key process in updating Audit (AutoKEY) tokens from the service. In
that case you would want both READ-CONFIG and WRITE-CONFIG
command-functions to allow for downloading and uploading the config
templates. This also if it is to be done should have an API so NEA can
do this as well. Also it will need an AutoKEY or other HSM/token process
for passing secure authorizations into the system.

Todd Glassey