[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p203 adds ntpq dumpcfg command

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 17:59:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Reg Clemens<reg at dwf.com> wrote:
> I guess this gets back to my previous question about a lack of
> documentation.
>
> I have no idea what problem having 'dumpcfg' is trying to solve.
[...]

What is it?  A mechanism to dump the active configuration
file(s) that have been applied to a running ntpd.  If you use ntpq's
:config or configfromfile commands, the additional "files" are
appended after the dump of the primary ntp.conf contents.  This allows
you to make changes at runtime, decide you like the result, and save
it as a ntp.conf-format file to be used in a subsequent startup or
ntpq configfromfile.

[apologies to those with longer memories than Reg for the duplication
of text from a prior message of mine in this thread.]

Cheers,
Dave Hart