[ntp:hackers] NTP Development Snapshot 4.2.5p208 Released

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Sun Aug 30 16:45:07 UTC 2009

Really, really. I am being a bit factitious here, in that the current
set allows overwriting an existing configuration file easily by a
typo. Overwriting the existing file is something that is highly
dangerous and probably ought not to be allowed at all and to make it
so simple to do by mistake is just not a good design.

There are two things to consider that make this doubly dangerous. One,
ntpq remembers your key entries after they are entered. Two,
saveconfig does not validate its flags. So, if you are in a ntpq
session and have already entered the proper key, it will not ask you
again when you run saveconfig. And if you happen to type

"saveconfig . /conffile"

instead of

"saveconfig ./conffile"

then you have just overwritten the origiunal ntp.conf file.

If you simply have to have this feature, I would prefer that there was
an "enable confoverwrite" option that could not be changed remotely
and defaults to disabled.

During testing, I also noticed that the config file that saveconfig
saves does not include "includefile" directives. This makes it even
worse, since the resulting config file is not functionally equivalent
to the existing file.

--
blu

It's bad civic hygiene to build technologies that could someday be
used to facilitate a police state. - Bruce Schneier