[ntp:hackers] NTP clients using source ports lower than 123

Todd Glassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 19 22:24:34 UTC 2009

Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Todd Glassey wrote:
>
>> Brian Utterback wrote:

>>> Why in the world would you disallow the other ports below 1024?
>>>
>> The retort could be that they are already used for predefined services
>> for the most part so NTP on them would conflict with other well known
>> services definitions.
>
> And why would it be up to ntp to enforce those definitions?
Because NTP *** MUST *** interoperate with tools in environments which
already use those port numbers, if you want to tell NTP to use a port
which is already assigned to another service or protocol formally then
you risk that you will not be able to use NTP with those types of
environment's without more tweaking.