[ntp:hackers] ntpd -N is default on Windows...

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Feb 15 01:48:51 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
> The ancient instsrv binary seems to presume ntpd.exe will be run with
> no arguments when installed as a service on Windows.  On the other
> hand, Meinberg's widely-used installer could start installing the -N
> option on the ntpd service ImagePath registry key.  That would still
> bite users who select their convenient option to just update binaries
> and do no other install actions, though.

I have a replacement for the instsrv which is almost ready but I've been
sitting on it especially as Meinberg has their own.

> I see it as a fairly dangerous difference to fix, and one likely to
> raise the ire of users bit by it, who might reasonably ask why on
> earth the default should suddenly change on them to something that is
> basically useless and degrades their timekeeping.  If we go that route
> we should to log a warning message when we're running at normal
> priority on Windows mentioning -N.

The command line option can be added into the service by the various
installers and if the option is not used it can be logged to the event
log. It's pretty straightforward.

Danny