[ntp:hackers] ntpd -N is default on Windows...

Dave Hart davehart at davehart.com
Sun Feb 15 02:14:52 UTC 2009

> From: Danny Mayer [mailto:mayer at ntp.isc.org]

> > I see it as a fairly dangerous difference to fix, and
one likely to
> > raise the ire of users bit by it, who might reasonably
ask why on
> > earth the default should suddenly change on them to
something that
> > is basically useless and degrades their timekeeping.  If
we go that
> > route we should to log a warning message when we're
running at
> > normal priority on Windows mentioning -N.
>
> The command line option can be added into the service by
the various
> installers and if the option is not used it can be logged
to the
> event log. It's pretty straightforward.

You completely ignored my point about changing defaults on
users to something that no one has said they ever want to
use, namely, ntpd running at normal priority.   You also
ignored that Meinberg's installer offer's a useful and fast
new-binaries-only mode which will not change command-line
options.

Why not leave good enough alone?  Why would a Windows ntpd
user want to run ntpd at normal priority?

Look, I agree, it's bad to have a documented switch that is
default off on Unix and forced on on Windows without docs
mentioning that.  Obviously, consistency across platforms is
a good thing, but consistency across releases is a greater
good thing in this case.

Cheers,
Dave Hart