[ntp:hackers] #if defined(DEBUG) and ntpd

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 22 04:17:31 UTC 2009

In message: <20090122040930.7A2F539F7E at mail1.ntp.org>
            Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:
: Danny wrote:
: > Dave Hart wrote:
: > > [apologies for the fat-fingered early send]
: > >
: > > I've noticed ntp.org documentation mentioning invoking ntpd debug levels
: > > (-d/-D #) not to mention the newsgroup.  That implies the DEBUG preprocesso
: > r
: > > macro is defined by the typical download, configure, make, install approach
: > > usiing reference source.  I say that because the typical idiom I see for
: > > debug output is
: > >
: > > #ifdef DEBUG
: > >     if (debug > 1)
: > >         printf("only -dd or -D2 or equivalent get to see me!\n");
: > > #endif
: > >
: > > How is NTP typically bundled preinstalled with the OS, with DEBUG or
: > > without?
: > >
: > > I believe the binary Windows releases to date have mostly been non-DEBUG.
: > > FWIW.
: > >
: > > Cheers,
: > > Dave Hart
: >
: > Vendors aren't going to build debug versions. The debug is there for
: > debugging not for running in production. This is common across the industry.
:
: Too bad, but it's their choice.  The debug stuff may not be useful on an
: embedded platform (and there are exceptions to this too) but I'm
: perfectly happy to run ntp's debug code in production most everywhere.
:
: The default build configuration is to have debugging enabled.

I think that the problem is that it is called 'debug' not 'logging'

I run it in production too...

Warner