[ntp:hackers] #if defined(DEBUG) and ntpd

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jan 22 15:51:04 UTC 2009

Brian Utterback wrote:
> The xntpd currently shipped with Solaris is built with DEBUG defined,
> and I certainly plan on shipping V4 with DEBUG defined. What is the
> downside? It makes it much more difficult to debug problems without
> DEBUG.

Bloat. It will also run slower as it has to go through all of the extra
debug statements to see if it needs to print something out.

In the case of windows you cannot run debug as a service since the
output goes to stdout which means that it will just disappear at best. I
don't know what happens with other O/S's where there is no stdout defined.

Danny