[ntp:hackers] My syslog and msyslog (lots of noise)

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Thu Jul 2 23:58:57 UTC 2009

The standard syslog.conf (at least in my version of linux), prints all
messages at log-level
INFO and above.  The ONCORE driver prints an INFO message with msyslog every
second,
and you probably want to increase this print level to get fewer messages.

My syslog.conf has the line

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none        	/var/log/messages

I have replaced it with the two lines

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;daemon.none    /var/log/messages
daemon.notice                                           /var/log/messages

for fewer messages yet, you could replace the daemon.notice with
daemon.err
or
daemon.none

--