[ntp:hackers] Protocol specification modification for MS-SNTP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 18:36:28 UTC 2009

Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> In my opinion the problem is that nowadays only few people build the
> NTP package on their final target systems.
>
> Not only the Windows port is shipped as a set of binaries, also Linux,
> Solaris, and (AFAIK) FreeBSD provide binary packages which are
> precompiled by the maintainers of the OS or distribution. So, for
> example, only the maintainers need to have the openSSL headers
> installed. On the end user's target system it is sufficient to have
> the openSSL libs installed.
[]
> Martin

Completely agree, Martin.

Of the hundreds of folk I have introduced to NTP I am probably the /only/
one who even has the compliers required to rebuild NTP on Windows, and I
certainly don't have the confidence or ability with C/C++ to do so.  I
/am/ happy to copy files to directories, and even to run the debug version
to help out the developers, but 99% of the folk I know who use NTP want a
click-to-setup-and-go solution.

Cheers,
David