[ntp:hackers] Samba's MS-NTP implementation

Olaf Fraczyk olaf at navi.pl
Mon Jul 13 12:55:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 08:22 -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:
> Olaf Fraczyk wrote:
> > This is about interaction between samba and ntpd. So a computer with
> > samba and ntpd installed can act as AD controller and provide signed
> > timestamp for windows users.
> > How do you want to do it without involving samba in ??? ;)
>
> If this is for Samba only, then it should only be turned on on the box
> where Samba is running. (...)
Exaclty.
> for Samba only. The real world runs Microsoft's Active Directory and for
> that matter Kerberos and we should also be supporting those servers. NTP
> isn't only for Samba.
I suppose you misunderstand what samba is. Samba is software that
imitates (the goal for 4.0 that is) Microsoft's Active Directory. It
integrates LDAP and Kerberos and other services (file sharing, printing
etc.). NTP is one of these services. But the MS Active Directory NTP is
slightly different - as you see it requires signing in a MS way. So on
samba server we need an ntp server that does packet signing in the MS
way.

The MS has it's own NTP service that provides signed timestamps. What do
you want to support here?

Regards,

Olaf

--