[ntp:hackers] Protocol specification modification for MS-SNTP

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jul 14 11:57:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 08:02 -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:

[SNIP]

> Except if I want to run NTP on a Microsoft Domain Controller which is
> what I do at home.

Surely the built in NTP will have bound the port 123 which makes that
somewhat difficult? Is it possible to turn off the built in NTP server
on an Active Directory domain controller?

>  The point is that this is implemented strictly for
> Samba and nothing else but we should not ignore either Microsoft's ADS
> or Kerberos's servers which this code does not implement. We can extend
> this but Samba is not the only possibility.

Even if it is only for Samba we should not preclude the possibility of
someone running it on say ReactOS in the future, in which case you would
be running Samba on what is effectively a Windows OS.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.