[ntp:hackers] /dev/ntpsymlink1 -> COM1: for ntpd on Windows

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 06:57:29 UTC 2009

Hal Murray wrote:
> david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk said:
>> Yes, but supposing that device or symlink /doesn't/ exist, that's
>> what I  meant.  When the "open" fails.  As I said: "Perhaps the
>> behaviour should  be the same to keep the documentation consistent
>> and OS-independent?"
>
> I believe the Linux version gives a sensible error message if it
> can't open the appropriate file.
>
> Trying to keep the error messages consistent seems like asking for
> troubles. What is a *nix user going to do when it says "Can't open
> COM7"?

I would hope that a UNIX user will not see messages about COM ports!
Simply that if a port or device cannot be opened, that is logged so the
UNIX message might be:

Cannot open "/dev/gps7"

and the Windows one:

Cannot open "COM7"

and both such messages would be in the normal place for ntp messages.
That's all.

Cheers,
David