[ntp:hackers] further comment on msyslog.

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:29:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Reg Clemens<reg at dwf.com> wrote:
> Just to answer my own question on msyslog.
> It seems that the problem is in msyslog, or something associated with it.
>
> If I change the call from msyslog -> syslog I get log entries as expected.

I know of two differences between msyslog() and syslog().  First, and
probably irrelevant, msyslog accepts the %m format specifier and
replaces it with strerror(errno).  More substantially, msyslog can be
redirected to a file using either the -l (lowercase L) AKA --logfile
option, or the ntp.conf logfile directive.  If any of those were in
effect it would explain what you're seeing.

Good luck,
Dave Hart