[ntp:hackers] the DEBUG variable.

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Wed Jun 24 17:49:18 UTC 2009

OK, this could be something stupid Im doing (it wouldnt be the first time)
but IT SEEMS that

#define DEBUG 1

is set in every config.h file generated.  I see some code in configure that
does a test to see about including this line, but dont quite understand what
its up to.

In any case, the ONCORE driver has two sets of debugging.
It has some debug statements that are turned on by the 'debug' variable, with
more statements being turned on for higher values of 'debug'.

It also has some code that until 'recently' was commented out using a

#ifdef DEBUG

statement.  These lines were meant only for my use if something serious
went wrong, but are now printing, and confusing users.

So, my question.
WHY is configure playing with DEBUG at all, shouldnt 'debug' be enough?

And if you consider this 'playing with DEBUG' important, I guess Ill have
to stop using it, and comment out all of these sections using

$if DEBUG 0

constructs.

I would appreciate comments on this.
--