[ntp:hackers] question about msyslog

tglassey tglassey at glassey.com
Thu Jun 18 18:39:11 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Reg,
>

>> I'm converting the ONCORE driver to use msyslog (it will still write
>> to clockstats) and have a question.
>>

> You might want to talk to Max (kuehn at ntp.org) - he's doing:
>
>  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/GSoC2009LoggingAndDebugging
>

>> Looking at ntpd, I see the use of 'openlog', so Im assuming that
>> msyslog writes to the system log file, but msyslog.c itself is such a
>> pile of #ifdef's that I cant tell what it is trying to do.
>>

> Yup...
>

>> So the question: Does msyslog write to the system log file (under
>> UNIX).  If so, it would seem to be writing with facility 'LOG_DAEMON'
>> since 'LOG_NTP' is not defined,
>>

> Yup...
>

>> but when I put the following line in my /etc/syslog.conf file I see
>> nothing.
>>
>>     daemon.*           /var/log/ntpstats/syslog
>>
>> so how is this supposed to work?
>>

> Does /var/log/ntstats/syslog exist?  syslogd will not create a logfile
> that does not exist.  It's documented, and is usually a feature...

Its not a feature - its a problem with log management practices. It
means NTPd must be treated separately and when whole storage arms are
mapped as part of a common logging operation it makes it really painful
without startup and post ;log rolling scripts. NTP should like all other
daemons create log files when it starts up. If the Directory's are gone
it should create them as well to insure proper operations.