[ntp:hackers] DNS Wizard needed

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun May 17 09:20:13 UTC 2009

Context is ntpd on a laptop (XO).  The problem is that the server names in
the config file aren't ever getting resolved to an IP Address.

Here is what I think is going on:

/etc/ntp.conf has server names, not numbers

System boots.
NetworkManager starts doing it's thing.
/etc/resolv.conf is empty
ntpd gets started.  DNS doesn't work.
  ntpd puts server names on deferred DNS queue.

A long time later, I poke something and the network connection gets made.
/etc/resolv.conf gets updated
ntpd's DNS resolver still doesn't work.
I've put all sorts of syslog printout in there.  Everything looks good.

getaddrinfo returns EAI_AGAIN, -3, Temporary failure in name resolution
errno is 111/Connection refused

It works fine if I restart ntpd.

I'm guessing that the resolver code hasn't noticed that /etc/resolv.conf has
been updated.  Is there some way I can poke it to get it to look again?