[ntp:hackers] A long time coming: NTPv4 in Open Solaris.

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon May 25 08:12:39 UTC 2009

Brian Utterback wrote:
> Who told it was because NTPv4 wasn't standardized? To my knowledge, that
> issue was never even considered.

AFAIR it has been mentioned several time over the past years in NG
and/or NTP mailing lists that Unix vendors did stuck with NTP v3 because
there had not been an RFC for NTP v4, and the RFC had not been submitted
because the RFC editors would only accept plain ASCII text, and Dave
Mills refused to rewrite/submit anything in plain ASCII, which I can
accept since nowadays PDF is available.

I know NTPv4 is currently being standardized by a working group, but I
remember I've heard the reasons I've mentioned above quite some time
before the standardization process was started.

In the past we have sometimes told Solaris users just to build the
current NTP v4 version on their systems to support the parse clocks.
Some did so, but others did not since they didn't want to run pieces of
software which had not been certified by Sun.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren