[ntp:hackers] Why are we going down this road? Question on listen-on, query-on, -I

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu May 28 08:06:12 UTC 2009

Dave,

There are a number of places folks would like to have better control
over things.  For example, modem configuration strungs, baud rate
changes, the number of addresses to accept for a hostname, better
logging and debug control, memory locking control, configurable audio
refclock parameters, allowing "fudge" for non-refclocks, etc.

The recent discussion about "listen-on" and several long-standing bug
reports point to the need to allow more than the current "open
everything, and open-read-drop based on 'restrict' parameters".

Once we get a better handle on the things we're looking at, we'll be
able to see if we want to extend the current parser with more keywords,
or look at using a config file syntax that is more like the one BIND
uses (for example).  Even if we change the syntax a bit, we may still be
able to use the latest parser framework.

It's just something to look at and evaluate.