[ntp:hackers] Why are we going down this road? Question on listen-on, query-on, -I

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri May 29 00:57:24 UTC 2009

Harlan,

Sachin was tasked to do two things only. Provide a syntax-directed
configuration capability and upgrade the NTP simulator. He was told
whatever he did could not compromise the existing configuration command
syntax or semantics.

The asynchronous resolver has been on the list for a long time, but this
is not a complaint about that. Sachim's idea was to avoid the messy
little configuration file used when DNS is slow and keep the syntax tree
around while the asynchronous resolver is doing its thing. This makes
the configuration process fully dynamic, but some of the commands needed
for full dynamic configuration, like unconfigure, have not been defined
yet. That would be a good project for a summer intern.

Dave