[ntp:hackers] unprivileged ntpd prototype

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 3 05:57:51 UTC 2009

>> server 1.2.3.4 port 1234

> Are you saying that this server 1.2.3.4 is listening on port 1234 or
> did you mean to send it from port 1234. If the latter the syntax is
> totally misleading. If the former then it's a protocol violation.

I assume it means that the remote server is listening on port 1234.

"protocol violation" is an interesting term.  I assume that's in reference to
some RFC.  How about I call it experimental?

Does the current server implementation drop packets that don't come from the
magic port?  That's likely to break systems running behind NAT boxes.

ntpdate has (had?) a -u option.  Is that a protocol violation?  Does anybody
care?