[ntp:hackers] IPv6, emalloc

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Nov 11 08:26:38 UTC 2009

Thanks.

stenn at ntp.org said:
> ntp1.isc.org has A and AAAA records.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I needed.

It turns out the deferred DNS path wasn't getting the -4/-6 flag either.  :)

> emalloc() is a wrapper around malloc, so just call free()

Thanks.  It seems to be working.

---------

mayer at ntp.org said:
>> ntp1.isc.org has A and AAAA records.
> Right, but what path are you trying to test? Maybe we can suggest
> something.

I just needed something that would get a sane answer to exercise the -6
option on the deferred DNS path.  I had lots of debugging logging turned on
and a hack to force everything to take the deferred path.  I can get a final
sanity check with ntpq -p.

mayer at ntp.org said:
> We will want to use the nonblocking code that Dave Hart has done which
> uses a pipe rather than mode 7 packets to 127.0.0.1. If you are doing
> the latter I'd suggest you look at uses Dave's code first since we
> would otherwise need to redo your change after 4.2.6 gets out.

Too late for this pass. ...

I won't get too grumpy if we throw away all my changes.  If nothing else, it
has lots of samples of working code.

But Harlan may want this bug fixed for 4.2.6.  I'm grumpy that I didn't get
in the right mood sooner so it would have had more testing before the
release.  Such is life.  Harlan can say "no" if he thinks it's too risky
and/or doesn't want to wait long enough for it to get tested.

If anybody wants to help test, that would be great.  I've run it on Linux
(Fedora 11), NetBSD, and FreeBSD.  It would be great if somebody could run it
on Windows and Solaris.

The bits are on pogo:/usa/murray/bug-975

It's got the force-defer path hack enabled and and a bit too much extra
logging for production, but it's not that bad.  It's roughly 5 extra lines
per server, and that's only at startup.  There might be some more printout if
your DNS really is busted, but nothing extra after it finds all the names.