[ntp:hackers] How many servers for a pool config line?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 12 21:37:14 UTC 2009

david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk said:
>> But maybe there will be more than one pool someday.
> There are already regional pools.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

My "more than one pool" was in the context of diversity.  I was looking for
things like:
  different DNS domains so things don't break if the domain gets hijacked or
somebody forgets to renew the registration.
  different management so things don't break if the guy running things gets
run over by a truck.
("don't break" really means "don't break as badly")

In the context of regional pools, the idea of a total number of servers would
allow you to get as many as you can from a tiny region and then get the rest
from an enclosing or nearby region.

> What about multiple pools on the one line, such as:
>   pool  uk.pool.ntp.org  eu.pool.ntp.org

I'm not a parsing wizard.  That looks hard to me.  How do I tell if
"eu.pool.ntp.org" is another server name or a typo on a keyword?

> I think that this type of client configuration should be very simple,
> and not need multiple configuration lines.

I think the typical setup will be very very simple, just one line:
  pool my-region.pool.ntp.org

The rest of this discussion is mostly just tossing ideas around in case
somebody sees something good enough to actually implement.