[ntp:hackers] c language stuff

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Oct 2 05:34:07 UTC 2009

I tried compiling the latest ntp-dev on an old system that's running gcc 2.96

It got several errors of the form...

{
   x = y;
  int foo;

That's a declaration that isn't at the head of a block.

I'm far from a language lawyer.  Is that now legal?  Is there a good URL or
book I should have if I want to keep up with this stuff?

A quick test shows that code like that compiles with gcc 4.4.1

Do other c compilers support that?  Do we want to encourage that usage?
Discourage it?  ...

Is there a wiki page that describes which features/quirks of the language or
environment that ntp code does and doesn't use?