[ntp:hackers] NTP Development Snapshot 4.2.5p208 Released

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Sep 7 03:24:38 UTC 2009

I think there are 2 use cases for the 'saveconfig' directive.

The one we originally spec'd was to "dump the current configuration
state."

This is a useful thing to have.

There is the case Brian mentioned, which is "Dump the spec but notice
when we did any top-level 'includefile' things and simply spit out that
directive, followed by any other top-level directices".

This is also a useful thing to have, and one we did not originally
consider.

Our goal is to include this code in 4.2.6, perhaps documented as an
unfinished mechanism.  I expect we'll be making patches to this when it
is in -stable, and it should be all finished by the release after 4.2.6.

I suspect we may need an option to say whether we should dump a canonic
snapshot, or one that emits the top-level includefile directives.