[ntp:hackers] NTP Development Snapshot 4.2.5p208 Released

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Sep 7 06:48:11 UTC 2009

Warner wrote:
> In message: <20090907032452.37917C071 at mail1.ntp.org>
>             Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:
> [[ snip ]]
> : I suspect we may need an option to say whether we should dump a canonic
> : snapshot, or one that emits the top-level includefile directives.
>
> Or to allow it at all...  That would allow complete control of the
> policy here by providing the tools necessary to implement any of the
> common policies.

I don't understand what you mean.

>From what I can tell, if we want to save the config, we have 2 choices:

- dump the complete current state

- dump only the top-level directives as they were "instantiated", which
  means list the commands in the "sourced in" ntp.conf file, listing any
  top-level includefile directives and any :config directives that were
  subsequently entered.

  Note that we *could* also list the directives in the sourced-in
  file(s) but they should be shown as comments.