[ntp:hackers] openssl-1.0.0beta3 and ntp

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 04:55:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Harlan Stenn<stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As I recall, we used to get a fair number of compiler warnings from the
> openssl stuff.

We've disabled the specific warning that OpenSSL 0.9.x triggered so
much. which complains when a function is implemented without a
separate prior prototype.  configure.ac, if building with OpenSSL,
adds -Wno-strict-prototypes.

> Has anybody done any compile and runtime testing of ntpd with
> openssl-1.0.0-beta3?
>
> If not, anybody up for it?
>
> I'd be especially interested in any warnings - we should either fix our
> code if we are doing anything wrong, and otherwise we should be
> reporting these problems to the openssl team in the hope that they can
> be fixed before they release 1.0.0.

If you want to see if they've prototyped all functions ahead of the
implementation, a quick hack is to find this line in configure (or
configure.ac)

    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Wno-strict-prototypes"

Just comment it with a # or delete it, then ./configure again.

Cheers,
Dave Hart