[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD 6.3/6.4 hiccup with ntp-dev and LDAP

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 23:14:02 UTC 2009

Complicating debugging of this crash loading nss_ldap.so.1 on these
two machines is that neither has symbols for libc.so or ld.so.  It
would be helpful if someone who has full symbols were to reproduce the
failure by installing ntp-dev and adding ldap to nsswitch.conf (it
doesn't need to be used for anything, just there so it will be loaded
during nsswitch initialization in ntpd).  With a more accurate
backtrace, the immediate cause of the crash should be much clearer.

I'll request an upgrade to a newer FreeBSD without symbols stripped on
one of those boxes, but I have no idea how long it will be before one
of the appropriately-clued staff is able to due that.  I know the
steps, but since the box is in a colo, it needs to be done when a warm
body with access to the colo is nearby, and for that matter it should
be done by someone who's done it before.  I've read about it plenty,
but I haven't done it.

Cheers,
Dave Hart