[ntp:hackers] ntpd and network interfaces

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Sep 16 06:49:50 UTC 2009

Dave,

For Years ntpd has taken the approach that if we do not "use" a
particular IP address we open-read-drop the packets.

More recently, people have asked for the ability to simply not-open
(ignore) certain IPs and/or interfaces.

To date, I have taken the position that since we have chosen "listen"
and "open-read-drop" as the original behaviors, we should maintain
backward compatibility now that we are allowing "ignore" (as in
do-not-open) capability.

There is some Ugliness if we maintain:

 "the default if we do not 'listen' is 'drop'"

instead of saying:

 "the default if we do not 'listen' is'ignore'".

I have 2 questions for you:

- Do you care?
- If so, how much?

Anybody else have input?