[ntp:hackers] Somewhat cross-compile: non-standard include files

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 06:07:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
>> I think bootstrap doesn't care about the path to C include files.  For
>> configure and make, I think a better approach would be
>
>> ./configure C_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/murray/ntp/f9/include/ ...
>
> If that worked it would be great.  I already have a configure.xxxx to record
> the arguments for each of several different versions of ntpd that I build and
> test so it would be simple to include that parameter in the one particular
> case where I need it.
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything.
>
> It gets recorded in config.status but the Makefiles are the same.
>
> Does anybody know if or how that is supposed to work?

I know it works for "./configure CC=gcc-4.3.2 ..." and I'm sorry to
hear it doesn't for C_INCLUDE_PATH.  The difference is undoubtedly
that config.status uses any CC override in the generated Makefiles but
not C_INCLUDE_PATH.  So to get it to work that way, you'd presumably
need to edit */Makefile.am to set C_INCLUDE_PATH if it is present.

Cheers,
Dave Hart