[ntp:hackers] NTP Development Snapshot 4.2.5p220 Released

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Sep 26 01:37:27 UTC 2009

Hal wrote:
> How expensive is it to recreate the .deps files?  Should bootstrap delete
> them?  When do they normally get created?

It's not too bad, and I just found a way to handle it easily.

We could:

- remove all the .deps/ subdirs
- run 'config.status depfiles'

in the bootstrap and that should do it.

I'm just hesitant to do anything that slows things down even a little.

This one may be worth it though.

> Dependencies change occasionally.  There must be some mechanism to notice
> that and fix things.  Who/what does that and why did it miss this case?

We're dealing with an edge case here.  Most folks don't update the same
tree and "try again", especially with the setup we have.