[ntp:hackers] NTP 4.2.7p98: monlist stopped working?

Terje Mathisen terje at tmsw.no
Tue Dec 21 11:05:33 UTC 2010

Dave Hart wrote:
> The monlist command was limited to a small amount of data overall
> because the server sent all of it at once, and there was no way to
> retransmit so as you increase the limit on packets, you also increase
> the odds of losing one when operating over a network.
>
> Hopefully you'll find ntpq's replacement, mrulist, a nice upgrade.  It
> allows arbitrarily large amounts of data to be transmitted, and
> provides for selection and sorting options.

Thanks!

I did know about the size limits for monlist, as well as the protocol
problems ntpdc has, particularly when used non-locally.

I also remembered discussions here about the desire for an ntpq
replacement, I just didn't remember the command. :-(

Anyway, I now have gotten a proper /48 ipv6 subnet and have moved both
the S1 and S2 servers onto that net, and given them AAAA records:

ntp2.tmsw.no	2001:16d8:ee97::1 Ubuntu 10.10/Stratum 2
ntp6.tmsw.no	2001:16d8:ee97::6 FreeBSD 8.1/Garmin GPS18 NMEA

I would love to see some traffic to those hosts from ipv6-capable hosts!

Terje
--
- <Terje at tmsw.no>