[ntp:hackers] Something is broken in 4.2.7p20: NMEA driver

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 07:46:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:09 UTC, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
> Is anybody else seeing any troubles/quirks recently?
>
> I can't put my finger on what's wrong.  A NMEA driver (using a Garmin GPS 18
> LVC) that was working fine is now off by ~180ms which is close to the time2
> fudge factor.
>
> I usually try to keep up to date with ntp-dev, but I was busy for the past
> few weeks so I was running  4.2.7p12 and/or 4.2.7p15, then jumped to p20.

The last commit to refclock_nmea.c was Oct 28.  There was a more
recent change to ntp_refclock.c but it was simply asserting that
refclock_open() gets a nonzero fd from open().

> The old code was OK.  Something, possibly just me, is confused in the new
> stuff.  It may be a simple fat-finger when I get things sorted out.  But it
> seems worth checking before I take the time to debug it the hard way.

It is possible it's fat-fingering, or it could be some other change to
ntpd that's biting you that I'm forgetting.

> What do I type to BK to back up to a previous snapshot?  Or rather, how do I
> find out how to do that?  Is there a web page or help command with the
> details?

If the BK GUI tools work for you, "bk helptool clone", otherwise, "bk
help clone".  Suppose I want to get a copy of 4.2.7p17:

#cd myrepo
#bk changes -t      # shows only tagged csets, in our case, releases.
ChangeSet at 1.2099, 2010-02-05 10:31:56+00:00, stenn at whimsy.udel.edu +27 -0
  NTP_4_2_7P17
  TAG: NTP_4_2_7P17
#cd ..
#bk clone -r1.2099 myrepo myrepo-p17

> What do I type to BK to get a diff style list of my local changes?  bk -r
> diffs shows me the changes that aren't checked in.  I want to see the checked
> in changes too.

FYI, if GUI tools work for you, "bk difftool" is an alternative to "bk
-r diffs".

I think what you want, to diff your repo against 4.2.7p20 for example:

#bk changes -t
ChangeSet at 1.2110, 2010-02-13 11:56:48+00:00, stenn at whimsy.udel.edu +27 -0
  NTP_4_2_7P20
  TAG: NTP_4_2_7P20
[...]
#bk -r diffs -r at 1.2110

That will show all changes between 4.2.7p20 and your repo's current
files regardless of which are checked in or committed.

FYI, ntp-dev was in the process of rolling 4.2.7p21 when a number of
coincidental failures took out our access to both the master repo and
the machine that rolls releases.  As a result, the version bump commit
for 4.2.7p21 has not happened yet.  When it does, it will be tagged
NTP_4_2_7P21 and contain all the files that have embedded version
numbers, those listed in .point-changed-filelist in the root of the
repo).  If your ntp-dev is up-to-date and you want to see your local
changes only, use:

#bk -r diffs -r at 1.2112

There are undoubtedly other ways to accomplish the same thing.  You
could use "bk treediff" between a clean clone of ntp-dev and your
modified repo, for example.

Cheers,
Dave Hart