[ntp:hackers] nonblocking DNS code nearly complete

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 23:43:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 21:28 UTC, I wrote:
> I believe the code works better than the current intres now, in that
> all DNS queries are performed without blocking the daemon, including
> the first queries which block the daemon in the current code.  I would
> appreciate testing and feedback.
>
> The code is in ~hart/ntp-dev-block on pogo and psp-deb1, and also in
> ~hart/ntp-4.2.7p2-new-intres.tar.gz on both.  It can also be
> downloaded from:
>
> http://davehart.net/ntp/dns/ntp-4.2.7p2-new-intres.tar.gz

Hal Murray's testing uncovered a bug in the ntp.conf parsing of
association directives like "server" when DNS lookup is not used, such
as with a numeric server or refclock address.  The port was being left
uninitialized.  Hal also ran up against a bug in scripts/VersionName
since fixed in ntp-dev.  I've fixed the parsing bug and merged with
4.2.7p7 to pick up the VersionName fix.  An updated tarball is in my
homedirs with MD5 hash:

564e129ff8af75d2f65a35495a8ef4d0  ntp-4.2.7p7-new-intres.tar.gz

Also available from:

http://davehart.net/ntp/dns/ntp-4.2.7p7-new-intres.tar.gz

Thanks for the assistance, Hal.

Cheers,