[ntp:hackers] nonblocking DNS code nearly complete

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:18:30 UTC 2010

Hal has exposed and I have fixed a few more issues with the prototype
for a new nonblocking DNS solution for ntpd.  It's in my ntp.org home
directories in repo ntp-dev-block, in tarball

*** ntp-4.2.7p9-new-intres-2.tar.gz ***
sig1: md5      : 0e48c5e49ede1a0634d5068d1e498a75

and on the web:

http://davehart.net/ntp/dns/ntp-4.2.7p9-new-intres-2.tar.gz

The big ticket fix is making msyslog() work in the DNS worker child
with logfile specified in ntp.conf.  There are a number of other
logging tweaks, including logging association name to address lookup
results if logconfig sysinfo is enabled.

I suspect the code will go into ntp-dev in the next few days,
depending on further test results.  Still to do is to split
ntp_intres.c into several pieces, probably a portable worker framework
file, a file for each of the variants (fork/pipe and windows thread),
and a file for the nonblocking DNS built on top of the framework.

Cheers,
Dave Hart