[ntp:hackers] nVidia CUDA GPU - wow - NTP never had it this good before.

Terje Mathisen terje at tmsw.no
Mon Jan 25 07:24:52 UTC 2010

tglassey wrote:
> On 1/23/2010 11:05 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>>> So folks - I have a functional CUDA based NTP server and it's
>>> performance is incredible.
>
> Sorry forgot to add this for the TELOS board link - check this baby out
> 1.3G 240Core board as a compute co-processor. And less than $1200 too.
> Drop three or four of these into a DB Server and you got rock and roll...

Todd, I'm absolutely flabbergasted!

It is really amazing both that you had the idea to do this, and actually
made it work. :-)

NTP is such a low overhead protocol that a high-performance server could
instead run the entire server protocol stack inside the hw interrupt
driver, at which point the cost (for the Nvidia setup) of copying
packets to/from the GPU seems like way more overhead. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje at tmsw.no>