[ntp:hackers] Confused about Development vs Production.

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Sat Jun 12 15:28:36 UTC 2010

I am confused about the interaction of the Development and the Production
versions of NTP.

It was my impression that Immediate/Important/Necessary changes were made
to the Production version of NTP, while things that were more cosmetic were
made only to the Development version.

It was then my assumption that the changes in the development version were
swept into the next production version.

This seems to be wrong, as I made some changes to the development version
of the ONCORE driver several months ago, and they have never made it to the
production version (nor the current Release Cantidate).

So, I guess what is my original question.
If one has to make the changes to BOTH versions to get them in, then just what
is the difference between the versions?  If they are not going to be tested in
the Development version and then get swept over into the production version
but rather need to be applied to both, whats the point of having two versions?

Confused.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com