[ntp:hackers] Minimum Automake version bumped to 1.11 for NTP

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Sun Nov 21 10:45:54 UTC 2010

If you build NTP from a repo, or if you modify *.ac or *.am files, you
will need at least Automake 1.11 starting with the next releases,
4.2.6p3-RC11 and 4.2.7p84.  Automake 1.11 came out last December, so
it's not exactly bleeding-edge :)

The triggering event was the removal of the second copy of libopts
from the NTP distribution, leaving only sntp/libopts.  Prior to
Automake 1.11's introduction of AM_COND_IF, it was impossible to
conditionalize a AC_CONFIG_FILES invocation effectively.  With a
single copy of libopts, we need the top-level configure script to use
libopts without building it, leaving the building to sntp/configure.
That meant conditionalizing LIBOPTS_CHECK's
AC_CONFIG_FILES(liboptspath/Makefile) out of the top-level configure,
requiring the use of the new AM_COND_IF.

I apologize in advance for the inconvenience of a side-trip to upgrade Automake.

Cheers,
Dave Hart