[ntp:hackers] ntptrace is now in perl: 2 possible ways for rewriting.

Regid Ichira regid23 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 15:53:44 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 7/25/11, davehart wrote on IRC:

<davehart> ntptrace used to be a C program which assumed the refid represented an IPv4 address, which was an invalid assumption once IPv6 support was added to ntpd.  For IPv6 associations, the refid _looks_ like an IPv4 address, but is hashed from the IPv6 address.  The rewrite (which happened to be in perl, I'd prefer sh for portability personally) uses ntpq and properly traces IPv6 (by looking at srcadr
<davehart> instead of refid).
<davehart> A rewrite in C is possible, either still invoking ntpq internally, or using libntpq (currently used only by ntpsnmpd).