[ntp:hackers] Build quirks: Error 96, gnome-config

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 6 09:59:56 UTC 2011

Occasionally, I try to run flock-build on various systems.  Sometimes I find
bugs/glitches before they bite other people.  I'm trying to catch up with
ntp-dev.

----------

This is from NetBSD:

make  check-local
./ntpd --configfile ../../ntpd/complete.conf --saveconfigquit compsave.conf
*** Error code 96

How do I figure out what that's trying to tell me?  Is there a better error
messsage someplace?  Where?  ...

That config file says:
  logfile "/var/log/ntp.log"
But that's not writeable.  (I don't normally run things like flock-build as
root.)

How does this checking work?  I really don't want error messages from
debugging to clutter up my system log files.

Something like this could be handy for checking edits to a config file before
restarting ntpd.

PS: configfile and saveconfigquit aren't mentioned in ntp-dev/html/ntpd.html

-----------

This is from the configure step on FreeBSD.  Why does anything in NTP even
know that gnome exists?  (Context is that I have a script that scans the log
files looking for troubles.  "not found" is one of the strings it looks for
because some shell script was missing once upon a time.)  No big deal, it's
just clutter and I can hack around it.

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking if pkg-config is at least version 0.15.0... yes
checking if libevent 2.0.9 or later is installed... gnome-config: not found
no
configure: Using libevent tearoff
checking for library containing openlog... (cached) none required